How you clean your ESD mat–and with what–can make a big difference in performance and in life expectancy of the product. Excellent cleaning solutions have been specifically formulated to easily and effectively remove flux, solder, chemicals, dirt and grime without damaging your mat. Using these special cleaning products will help extend the life of your mat.
Follow these dos and don’ts when cleaning your ESD mat –
- Clean with alcohol or ammonia. These chemical will cause your mat to dry out and become brittle.
- Clean with a silicone-based cleaner. It will leave a residue that could reduce the mat’s ESD capabilities.
- Use strong chemicals. They could corrode your mat.
- Clean with the proper solution and mixture for your specific mat.
- Create a cleaning schedule so you’ll never have to worry about residue build-up.
- Consider the brand of the cleaner. Oftentimes companies test their cleaners on their mats.
- Remove any residue immediately, such as flux and solder.
- Test your mats regularly to ensure optimum performance of your ESD mat.
- Clean your mat if the RTT or RTG tests show a rating less than normal.
All-Spec carries a selection of mild and highly effective ESD mat-cleaning solutions.