Equipment failure. It’s still a major problem even with the recent uptick in automated processes. Faulty mass soldering continues to require the reflow work of a deft hand. But how do you ensure successful manual soldering when the process is so highly dependent upon an individual operator’s skill level?
Consider the following best practices from CircuitMedic to streamline the hand soldering process:
- Fine-Pitch Gull Wing Soldering
- Clean and prepare pads; apply liquid flux to corner pads.
- Position the component and align pads.
- At one corner, place tip at the junction between the pad and component lead. Solder the component in place.
- Wait for solder to solidify, and solder the opposite corner.
- Place small diameter solder along the edge of the component leads.
- Place tip against the solder in line with the tip of the first component lead to be soldered. A uniform amount of solder will flow, creating a consistent solder joint.
- Move tip down the line until all leads along the side are soldered.
- Auxiliary Heat Desoldering for Multilayer Circuit Boards
- Apply a small amount of liquid flux to joints of the component to be removed.
- Place tip against the lead on the board’s component side.
- Align desoldering tip with a component lead end; contact the joint lightly.
- When solder melts, begin rotating the desoldering tip.
- Continue to rotate until a change in the motion is detected.
- As soon as the solder in the joints is completely molten, activate the vacuum and extract the solder.
- Remove the desoldering tip and the soldering tip from the component lead.
- Desolder remaining component leads using a skipping method to reduce thermal buildup.
- Probe component leads to ensure they are not soldered to the side of the plated hole; remove component.
- BGA Dog Bone Masking
- Inspect dog bones under a microscope to determine if solder mask is needed.
- Scrape away loose solder mask and solder connecting the BGA pad to the via.
- Seal the exposed copper with a small amount of high-strength epoxy.
- Process BGA normally.
Depending on your application and environment, follow the above steps and help ensure successful handiwork is always within your reach.